<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Kharma Kettle and Rhapsody, Noble House and Thanks. 

Had wanted to write yesterday, however Blogspot had its fair share of challenges. By the time it got its issues settled, it was too late really to write anything when all the eyes wanted to do were to pull down the shutters and head straight to bed.

Just touched base after a long day's out. The last two days have been marked by early disapperances from home, much to the consternation of my mother who's quietly looking to celebrate with her only son his twenty-six birthday. They have also been characterised by dinner at places which I believe, I will only go once in a blue moon. Perhaps the first one that I'll write about, I'll head over more due to the ambience and the quaint airs of the place itself that enticed me from the start.

Made reservations for 6 at Karma Kettle and Rhapsody. The restaurant is situated at Cluny Court, which is located next to Serene Centre. If you're an old boy from my school, Hwa Chong, Nanyang Girls, or any of the schools located in the area, you'll know where Serene Centre is, an anachronistic throwback to the 1980s, where things were still more peaceful and small things could do a great deal for a lot of people.

It serves both Western and Indian cusine, but the biggest draw of the place must be the place itself. Beautifully decorated with wooden cabinets, big Victorian mirrors, it stood out from the rest of the eateries at Cluny Court. As you stepped in through the glass door, one is instantly transported into another world, a world that reeks an Old World English charm even though the place has only been opened for the last four months. Even as I peer in through the window the first time I went past it, it was a reminder of the times when I pored through Enid Blyton's books of rabbits having afternoon tea, and other creatures behaving in a social manner reminiscent of human culture. Such was the pull of this place that I've to step in and experience the place.

The place was surprisingly empty as we stepped in half an hour late from our reservation. As the first one there, the owner and I indulged in some conversation about the place itself and also about the food. While some of us may find her to be imposing, I was rather gladdened by the company she provided. The food, though deceptively little, was filling and appropriately portioned out for everyone.

So, for 2008, my first time spending the eve of my birthday with Vania and her circle of frens, in no order of merit, Janice and Janus; Adam and Derek. JT was down and hugging the toilet bowl, too sick to make it down.

They came with a huge Rum and Cherry cake from Awlfully Chocolate which was handily located just next door. That piece of cake really took the cake. Once down the windpipe, I could hardly move. I knew what they were getting for Adam. As for myself, I didn't really expect much or want to expect much after Sunday.

A white shirt with black prints from Desigual. Tried it after I reach home. For my current physique, it was a perfect fit (for now). I guess, apart from the shirt, the card and the fake gift which threw me off for a few mins, the icing on the cake was the genuine effort that I could feel that these people, who aren't really close to me, made in purchasing the gift, but even more than that, the sincerity in their voices which made the already cosy restaurant just that cosier.

Tonight's dinner was at Noble House, operated by the Tung Lok group of restaurants, which is located on the 6th floor of UIC Building. Utterly stumped as I look at the menu, we've all been told that even though this is a change of location, we'll be looking at a price of around thirty odd, after the service charge and government taxes. What we stumped out after we made out of that place was a cool fifty bucks. Even though there's a huge gaping hole in my wallet now, the dinner more than made up for it, with every dish throughly prepared though the service leaves a little to be desired at times.

The guys gave me a wallet. Smells like real leather, or at least smell-wise I could positively identify it with leather. Now I have two wallets, one which I'm unable to keep the right number of cards, and the other which I have no place to store my keys and shillings. Does that mean I will have to carry both wallets around? Just wondering will a wallet tell a story this Friday.

So, it's been a bittersweet twenty-sixth birthday. I learnt, once again in this month, the people who truly want to make it happen and those who think they might want to, but eventually refuse to act upon their thoughts.

Thanks people, if you ever read this. I don't really thank people that much. All of you, those that did and those that didn't, you all made my day, be it bad or good.

A special shoutout to J.P. Toh, @ ah mui, the straight-shooting fowl friend of mine that I've picked up in the last whole year. If you are reading this, just know that this ragtag of bunch of people that I've known for the last 9 years, they saw me when I was angry and threw my temper fits, dealt with me when my face resembled a storm, spoke the truth when needed and tried their best to be there. And guess what, it's been a year and you're just like them in the beginning, and in my friendship with you, I'm experiencing the whole gamult of emotions again. Just that you're a lady and happily engaged to a great guy whom I know. I hope this friendship can last as it did with this ragtag bunch of people I know. Though not all of them are counted as close friends, they are good friends and at the very least friends. I guess for us, it's something unique that this friendship has remained pure, resembling that of a often squabling pair of brother and sister. And I really hope it remains that way, though it's painful at times. Thank you very much for all the advice and encouragement you provided. It made a difference.

Special mention to RB from my cell grp. You who read this should know who you are. Thanks for keeping stuff quiet even when your C asks about it. You've corrupted me so much that I've to substitute your names for letters now. Haha.

To all the ladies who's been trying to put in a good word for me in front of someone, thanks a million. All of you can be initiated as my spys/agents whichever one you preferred. Jibe aside, thanks for really seeing something redemptive and worthy in me through the terrible explosive temper that I possess. Love moves in mysterious ways, no one can control it. However sweet you lot might think I might be with the things I do, sadly it isn't how she feel. Thank you for your "support", though I at times doubt how much that will help with the proceedings.

Not forgetting the guys. Just that they don't have this address and will never read this. Heh. Thanks a lot. I guess after 9 years, you all finally know how I like my birthday done. High on effort, hopefully low on the wallet. Thanks for being so tolerating all this years. You guys are great you know. But Independent is much better than Barker Rd anyday.

I've enough to write about all the bad stuff that I've to put up with. Though mildly ruffled by a congratulatory birthday SMS that came across as generic and going through the motion, I'll not write about it.

And finally, before I shut up for the day:
I'll be one of the good guys cos there's too many of the bad ones around.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?