<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, March 08, 2008

A week away 

Time is slowly slipping away as the day to working-dom inches nearer and nearer. Had a mildly depressing time in reservist for the last five days. Yet somehow, I found myself taking away more than I gave in these five days, with the whole experience leaving me with a smile on my face, and not just because I could finally walk out of the gates and not have to look back or at my watch anymore.

Even though this in-camp was a low-key one, and as known to most who have passed through national service, consisted mostly of waiting to move from pt. A to pt. B, it was generally a good time for most of my platoon mates to take time off their work and step into another world in which they only need to fulfill their obligations as required by their rank.

Now, most of them are a way good ol' decade older than me, and at the last day, got a good ribbing from them for the age difference and perceived "generation gap" between us. They came across to me, while of different race and religion, as older brothers to me in one big extended family. While I may possess more knowledge in terms of field experience, they are definitely much wiser than me in a lot of ways and I do have much to learn from them as well.

I think I may have unwittingly picked up a friend in Gloria. Being a silly person, who shoots his mouth off at everything and anything all the time, it's really hard to find someone who I can get along immensely well. I've been telling people around me that she's really great company and she is, at least to me at the very least. It's really being sometime since I meet a person whom I could be just myself and not really have to care about how people perceive me.

I am myself all the times, a simple yet complex individual with many sides to his personality. To some, I'm their connect group co-ordinator, others the bluntest person in the group who wouldn't hesitate to point out at a girl who's scantily and indecently dressed, to a few a caring person who happens to look extremely unapproachable and to just a handful a guy who's out to pursue a girl that he thinks he can be happy with and who she can be happier with.

The difference in all, which is slight, is the way I have to watch myself with my words. And I guess, when I do talk to her or hang out with her, I don't really have to watch my words, or rather be guarded and diplomatic. It's just liberating and extremely refreshing for my soul to be freed to express myself. However, that doesn't give me a license to perform my best impersonation of a drunken sailor who sailed into port after 3 months out at sea.

I've talked to a few people and generally they came away with the perception that I'm pretty ready on the inside for a relationship while the person in question isn't. As I ponder about that statement, I wonder with the impending date of starting work, will that statement still hold true? Or I'll be so overwhelmed and consumed by work, that I will not have space for a relationship? I hope, with every sinew, that it wouldn't hold any grain of truth. A career is transient, but relationships, I hope they are treasures that last for eternity.


I'm geared up to hold your heart,
cos I'll be one of the good guys cos there's too many of the bad ones around.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?